Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Random composition part I

Random composition is a great way to generate ideas for tracks. Several instruments and tools have randomisation capabilities already in the instrument, but randomisation can be done on midi tracks using the reason tools, which I will blog about.

Was just playing with a Re-drum instrument. Here is what I did:

  1. Create a redrum instrument
  2. Initialise the drum instrument by right clicking on the redrum in the rack and selecting initialise patch (see below), This clears all patch information.
  3. I then add percussion instruments to three or four of the slots (not too many as it will get too busy) 
  4. Using the Randomise Drum option from the redrums' right click menu I create drum lines for each percussion sound at random. You can also randomise the entire pattern, but that can be unpredictable at times, and give you less control. Use the Shift drums left and right and alter to adjust the patterns. Alter just changes a couple of notes, rather than the whole pattern.
  5. Once I am happy with a pattern I create as many patterns as I like in each of the re-drums storage slots.This will make it easy later to change patterns in a pattern track.
Add a bit of the mixers plate Reverb to the Redrum track and you get something that sounds quite authentic, perhaps even more so if you use groove template. Most of all play and have fun. Don't forget to save!


Here is a track I made using the above method: I also changed the pattern length to 9 notes rather than default 16:

9pattern

Next time I will talk about the Matrix processor (without Keanu).

No comments:

Post a Comment